Sunday, May 18, 2008

Travel to Argentina





This weekend embassies around Washington DC opened their doors for visitors. They hosted cultural events, movies, food, and exhibits. I traveled to the embassy of Argentina in DuPont neighborhood and listened to the traditional music of tango. Amazingly, the musicians asked if anyone in the crowd wanted to tango. Individuals raised their hands then danced together. This intimate dance was performed by complete strangers. Beautiful and a great idea for a sunny Saturday afternoon.

This art weekend kicked off with a trip to an event in DC called "Art-o-matic." At art-o-matic, artists display their work on nine or so floors of a new building. Performances occur simultaneously, anything from comedy to music or fire throwing. Friday I enjoyed art by a law school friend's daughter who lives in DC. She named her mother as one of her inspirations. I agree! The fire throwers remind me of Guatemala and the beaches of Thailand. Alas, it can also be found on the beaches of the Potomac.

Art weekend stirred the question: What life do I want to lead as a professional? What are my hobbies? Volunteer focuses? Educational pursuits? Relaxing activities? Tango fits into my spanish language theme . . . I may have to look into dance classes. Or more classes, meet-up groups, volunteering in the Spanish-speaking community...so many possibilities in DC but I have to choose. Time flies by and here I've been living as a professional for eight months. Art weekend may inspire me to set more volunteer or education dates with organizations and activities around town.

Unrelated, I would also like to own a bicycle. Any good ideas for places to look for used bikes?

1 comment:

Bluemoon girl said...

Do the dance class idea! That would be fun. Also, there are always needlepoint classes.

Second of all, I just started my own blog too. You inspired me. Check it: http://iheartsunshine.blogspot.com/