Sunday, December 07, 2008

Julmust

Preparing for Christmas has given me new purpose in life.

The first sign of Christmas was when I saw IKEA's holiday coca-cola (Julmust). Jag tycker om Julmust!! (I like Julmust, in Swedish). This holiday beverage tastes a bit of coca-cola and evergreen. At first it confuses the taste buds but a few sips later you won't believe you've ever lived without it. And now, you can go to your local IKEA to purchase some for yourself. No need for a ticket to Sweden. It's easy!





The second sign of Christmas was when I smelled the Christmas trees when walking by my neighborhood hardware store. This year my roommate and I decided to buy a real Christmas tree. While a brilliant idea, and my first time to experience a real tree, I opted against the purchase today. First, trees are expensive. Second, I own no accessories for the tree. There is the stand, lights, the star, ornaments... and where does one stop? As I may or may not be in my house next year at Christmas, the thought of moving a Tupperware full of holiday goodies turned my energies to other crafty tree ideas. I landed upon making a wreath of coat hangers (thank you dry cleaners!) and pine cones from the sidewalk outside my house. Total cost = $0. Now THAT'S the holiday spirit! (Hey, we're in a repression people. Follow my lead and we'll make it.) After finishing the wreath I put together a few other decorative items with oranges and pine cones. Our house smells great.







The third sign of Christmas was the explosion of fantastic events. (1) My roommate and I took a candlelight tour of Mt. Vernon (George Washington's home, for those who need a brush up on East Coast history). You'll see a pic here of the CAMEL that was on the grounds. That is because George Washington DID have a camel during Christmas at least one time. We sat around a fire sipping cider with men dressed in colonial period clothing. Not a bad look. (2) The Swedish embassy held a holiday festival with food and crafts, music and a St. Lucia day train. It just so happened I had already baked pepparkakor and saffron buns. I'm a die-hard Swedish Christmas lover. It's true. (3) I watched the Capitol Christmas tree lit last Tuesday and attended the (free) reception with delicious food from Montana. (4) Next weekend I will run the Jingle Bell All the Way 10K that benefits my friend's school.


The fourth sign of Christmas was my over zealous commitment to crafting. I am not at liberty to disclose the items crafted until after Christmas. However, I can tell you I spend a babysitting check at a craft store. That made me a little too happy. Hopefully you will see at least a Christmas card come your way.

Lastly, I AM listening to Christmas music (I want a hippopotamus for Christmas...) I AM drinking eggnog. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! I love how it brings a sense of happiness and hope.

1 comment:

Jess said...

If you can't make it all the way to Ikea for your fix, Brian and I saw it on sale at World Market this past weekend.