Thursday, March 05, 2009

Happy International Women's Day (Friday)

Tonight I attended a Women in Politics panel at the National Archives.



Eleanor Clift moderated the panel, comprised of:


* Marsha Blackburn, U.S. Congresswoman from Tennessee;
* Mazie Hirono, U.S. Congresswoman from Hawaii;
* Grace Napolitano, U.S. Congresswoman from California;
* Madeleine Kunin, former Governor of Vermont and former Ambassador to Switzerland; and
* Jennette Bradley, former Lieutenant Governor of Ohio.



I also saw an old friend who is visiting DC for a few days and volunteering in the 100 days campaign,

Today my friend prayed and demonstrated at the White House. He wasn't one of the people dressed in orange suits, but he was with them. The 100 Days Campaign aims to end US torture of detainees, in Gitmo and where the US holds detainees in other countries. Making no particular comment about my persuasions on the issue, I support that my friend's conviction and perseverance. Fascinating is the fact that he stood outside praying and demonstrating while I researched at my desktop. What a different day we led.

In general, the two politically minded experiences in one night reminded me of how much I enjoy advocacy activities. Time to get back into volunteer mode.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Ms. Kunin's comment about the necessity (in a relationship) of being an ardent Democrat. I also laughed at the end of the article about the New Hampshire and Vermont mixed marriage.
Mom