Monday, January 25, 2010

Gateway to Yosemite


For a few weeks I am working in Merced, California, in San Joaquin Valley. The town is lovingly called the "Gateway to Yosemite" because of it's close proximity to Yosemite National Park. With around 60,000 residents, the town boasts a courthouse museum (pictured here), an airplane museum, and some fun restaurants. So far I have tried out Big Bubba's BBQ and plan to visit Sam Cafe, where Sam serves Thai, and also Cool Hand Luke's Steakhouse. Raley's grocery store is the local Whole Foods equivalent. This time in a smaller town than Los Angeles in California has allowed me to meet another type of place. Here agriculture is a major industry. As I drive to work I pass cows, sheep, and goats, as well as fields of what looks like grapevines. The views and quieter days are a welcome departure from life in the big city. Stay tuned for pictures of local attractions in the upcoming days.

No comments: