Saturday, May 05, 2007

Guatemala Sneak Peak

It's official. This blog will soon move to Guatemala with me as we study spanish and volunteer from late June to late August. I hope my spanish skills return with ease so I can move into the countryside and study while living on an old coffee plantation.

My goal is to enhance my language skills so I can feel close to fluent in at least one additional language. At the same time, I wanted to choose a location other than home where I can live in a new environment, too. Secondarily, though also key in my choice of location, is that I want to see what this international development is all about by volunteering from within. This led me to Xela, where many spanish schools incorporate social justice opportunities into part of the day. Aside from volunteering at a women's prison, in Xela salsa lessons, architecture, and my host family's life style will enhance the whole experience.

Lastly, I will have a few days to travel. Maybe I'll have to escape the high elevation...I've always wanted to live in mountains and already I'm planning my descent?? Xela is in the mountains and I will be there during rainy season. You can be sure my favorite H&M sweater will make it into my backpack. The weather in Xela will be shocking compared to DC. I have heard about this cave trekking experience from more than 2 friends. It's at the top of my list if I get a chance to travel.

In preparation for the summer, I'm embarking on a literary adventure through Guatemalan history and politics. Silence on the Mountain follows an American traveler who unravels the mysterious burning of a barn that is intimately tied to Mayan history, coffee plantations, and the country's story. Well written. Next I'm going to read an account by a young Guatemalan Nobel Peace Prize winner who wrote I, Rigoberta Menchu. Then I'll have to follow up with the critics. Surely no one will disagree with the staple Lonely Planet guide gracing my desk, tempting me during finals.

No comments: