Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What do you call a fish without an eye?

Fsssssshhhhhhhhhhhh.

Who can beat the day trips into Wisconsin's rolling hills? Previously I would have directed those hungry for Wisconsin's most beautiful location to Parfrey's Glenn, then Devil's Lake. After a memorable Memorial Day, I would remember to mention instead Governor Dodge State Park. Head straight to the boat rental, row across the horseshoe shaped lake to the cliffs, climb, swim, eat spicy beef sticks, and stop at the A&W on your way home. Don't forget the General Store where they stay open as long as they can stand.

Totals:
Swimming adventures = 3
Horses spotted = 32
Bug Bites = 0
Spotted Cows consumed = ??
General store visits = 2

In the General Store:
Guitars = 1
Local Brewed Beers = loads, watch out for Bitter Woman, she's bitter.
Wheelbarrows of Wood = As many as you can squeeze in your trunk for $20
Wax worms = One chewing tobacco container full
Fish on the wall = 6











And following some time in the backcountry, I returned to the city where I ran into a dear friend with her parents at a tasty eatery, Nochspiel. Her mother asked me where I was from. She expected to hear me say Minnesota, because my accent sounded like it was from there, she said. Yes, Canadians poke fun at the same thing. You can take the girl out of the backcountry, but you cannot take the backcountry out of the girl. Donchathink?


Now, for the sad truth. They are taking me out of the backcountry.
Countdown of days left in the midwest: 23

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AAaaahhhhhh
Wish I were there.....
Time left here? - about 34 months
AAaaaaahhhhhh