Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Cambio?

Some mutterings about money. Today I sent a card to the states. For change of $5 I visited a bakery, paper shop and finally purchased coffee at a tourist hangout. This country is really hurting for change, as in coins and small bills. Please send some. One extremely popular bakery here is a huge chain called Xelapan (the name of the city, Xela, and pan is bread). The various breads and cookies cost between 3 cents and 40 cents, up to more for cakes. This is a popular snack for many students, but again, the change thing will get you. Here 7 Quetzal (there money, the name of a parrot like bird), here 7 quetzal is around $1. Change goes down to 1-10th of a Quetzal. You can get a workout carrying these coins around.

This week in the prison
1. making bunny purses
2. visiting with the doctor and bringing medicines for diabetics and vitamins
3. participating in the baptism of two women, followed by a luncheon.

And some spanish puns--
1. The name of my old school was Guatebuena. The name of the country is Guatemala. Mala means bad, Buena means good, the country name was switched for the better...(grone?)
2. People watch those fantastic spanish soap operas here, they are called telenovelas (television novels) but my teacher calls them televiejas (television for the old)...(snicker here)
3. One Guatemalan boy told me I was old when he found out my age, then he quickly added, but pretty.. so now I introduce my age with Vieja pero Bonita (old but pretty)...

For those of you in Minneapolis and the area, I send a big hug and hopes that all is ok with your loved ones.

1 comment:

Bluebunny said...

The lack of change was a significant problem in Senegal when I was there as well. I often had to resort to purchasing cups of coffee or cards in more "upscale" (often european) chain stores just for some change.

In other news, I am terribly jealous of your fabulous travels. It sounds like you are really making the most of it, which is wonderful. :-)

Best from Chicago.