Sunday, August 12, 2007

Incarceration Continues

Last week began with some disappointments but ended with a moving ceremony.

Wednesday two first communions were planned for women in the women´s prison. The other student volunteer and I purchased veggies at the market to contribute to the lunch to follow the ceremony. While purchasing carrots, I felt a small veggie hit me in the head. When I looked for the culprit, two Mayan saleswomen were giggling. As always, I smiled and said Buenas Dias.. but really I was a little miffed that I was the target of harssment while purchasing food for a religious ceremony in a prison. In the end it was a worthy experience to be the target of discrimination and understandt he feeling. Later in this day, one women in the prison said to her friends with me in company, that I did not understand spanish. To which I replied, I understand spanish. She was embarassed and I felt uncomfortable b-c I want to lift spirits, not bring a divide. But all was fine, just a bit of strangeness.

In the end the ceremony was incredibly touching. I understood what people said and met two interesting people. One an American Deacon who works with juveniles in Cali prisons, the other a Guat newscaster who works with the church and jail here. We all exchanged emails.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are they seriously holding you in that jail? Where the heck are you?