Thursday, February 05, 2009

BASE

Tonight I saw six short films at the Banff Mountain Film Festival about extreme mountain sports. The most tempting to me, even topping extreme mountain hiking/skiing, and extreme mountain climbing, was BASE jumping. To be a BASE jumper, apparently you need to jump from each of the four:

* Building
* Antenna
* Span
* Earth


These jumps have led to many fatalities due to the jumpers proximity to their object and numerous other reasons. Also common are arrests and convictions because often the object being jumped from is not an approved one.

Due to the high risk involved in BASE jumping, I am going to opt for jumping up and clicking my heels together but not actually jumping off anything. Baby steps. I cannot even imagine jumping from the Eiffel Tower.

No comments: