Monday, October 11, 2010

CicLAvia Los Angeles -- 10.10.10



On Sunday I took to (7.5 miles of) the streets of LA during a "CicLAvia" event. The city closed 7.5 miles of streets and opened the streets to bikers, skateboarders, runners, walkers, or strollers. I felt a rush as I zoomed through intersections downtown. I threw caution to the wind with no car to run me off the road. Strangely I was one of the only nerds with a bike helmet, but I considered it a fashion statement. Enjoy these photos taken by others that I found online at laist.com.








Some history from the CicLAvia webpage:
Ciclovías started in Bogotá, Colombia, over thirty years ago as a response to the congestion and pollution of city streets. Now they happen throughout Latin America and the United States, connecting communities and giving people a break from the stress of car traffic. The health benefits are immense. Ciclovías bring families outside of their homes to enjoy the streets, our largest public space.


And a video, too!

No comments: