Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Rocks and Snow

This year has continued to be the Year of the Adventure, as declared. Last weekend I participated with my Wilderness Travel Course in the Joshua Tree National Park weekend. On Saturday we learned rock climbing techniques, up to class 3 rock climbing.

For those of you like me who are new to rock climbing, here is a short explanation of the "class" of rocks. Class 3 means we climbed on rocks with helmets where you could be hurt but if you fell, the fall would not cause death. There are several systems for classifying rocks. In the Yosemite System used by Sierra Club, you would use ropes on Class 4 or Class 5 rocks. We did not use ropes for Class 3.

This being my first time climbing Class 3 rocks with any type of technique, I learned a ton. After we practiced techniques around a few rocks/boulders, we took a hike. The total distance measured about 3 miles, which should take 1 hour to hike. However, the elevation gain and terrain caused the hike to take us 5 hours. Of course, the leaders were well aware of the time it took so the timing did not cause any alarm. The "trail" consisted of nearly constant bouldering over the rocks. There were at least 2 points that challenged my fear of heights. The leaders guided us through and somehow all 30 of us made it through the entire hike. Here is some photo evidence.





I really enjoy the photo looking down into the Indian Cove campground at Joshua Tree because it is the 3D version of a topographic map. We learn and practice orienteering (navigation with a compass and map) in the class; I have also done navigation with Sierra Club separate from class. Navigation is one of my new favorite hobbies. I LOVE using a compass and land recognition to wander around Joshua Tree sans trail.

Tonight I attended another session of the class where we learned about snow travel. There are many techniques to snow travel in order to prevent death. No joke. You could cause an avalanche and be buried (we learned ways to find a partner who was burried by snow and to carry a shovel to dig him/her out). You could slip off a trail down a cliff (the speaker's friend actually died this way). Or you could cause yourself something like a road rash by sliding down snow with improper clothing. Thus, snow travel involves a pair of crampons, an ice ax, snowshoes (not the ones that look like a tennis racket), a shovel, and my favorite, down booties to wear around camp at night. With this class we will spend 2 nights camping in snow. During this weekend we will dig a kitchen, a table, and make an igloo. Seriously. Wisconsin does not prepare anyone for this madness. My mountaineering skills will double after snow camp. This gal is pumped.

Side note to the adventures: after class a woman my age asked if I was from Wisconsin. The Packer bag slung over my shoulder could have given it away. But no, she said she heard me speak. Ok. Fair enough. She hails from Minnesota. We both agree that the Vikings should NOT leave Minnesota for Los Angeles. We exchanged info after a 5 minute back and forth about Swedes and Norweigans.

Finally, tonight I will end this post with a request for any suggested places to see in between Washington DC and Los Angeles. I am going to Washington DC to pick up someone very special; we will drive back to Los Angeles. First stop is Atlanta; second stop may be Dallas; then into New Mexico and Arizona. We're flexible along that path generally. Any suggestions for must-see stops?

1 comment:

ycycle said...

I suggest a new route of attack. Of course finding a path across the country that avoids snowyness might be next to impossible.
I'm gonna miss the boy, but I'm so happy for you both!!