Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Silverlake Stairs

Tonight I led my first in a series of three hikes through the public staircases in my neighborhood of Silverlake. We based the hikes on a book entitled "Secret Stairs: A Walking Guide to the Historic Staircases of Los Angeles," by Charles Fleming. Even a local blogger who writes about hikes from the book joined in the hike. She promised a blog post about tonight's hike. Check out her site.

We walked over 1000 steps over the course of 5 miles in 2 hours. One of the stairs we traversed is the famous Laurel and Hardy stairs where Laurel and Hardy carried a piano up public stairs in a 30 minute short. The movie won the first Academy Award for Live Action Short Film (Comedy) in 1932. Today greenery covers the stairs. We also crossed Silverlake's smallest staircase with only 5 stairs. Among other famous places was a home once owned by Lily Tomlin whom you may remember from I Heart Huckabees or A Prairie Home Companion.

Stay tuned for details from the next two hikes. Here is a sideways picture to view. I can navigate through Silverlake but I cannot post a picture.

No comments: