Thursday, June 21, 2007

Dia Dos - Antigua

Today I emailed out my new email address with this blog address. If you are new to my blog-o-sphere, let me share its purpose. I am maintaining a blog to share about travels mainly, but while I am in one place I also write about interesting books and music. Blogs are useful tools for sharing about life - while mine is not meant to serve as a journal, it may be more like a journal this summer because I do not have a digital camera to share photos. Enjoy. And, please keep me updated on your life as well!

Back to travels...
This morning after a fruit and bread breakfast I left Guatemala City for Antigua. The local buses cater to all people by having a person yell the route out the door, for those who cannot read the route. This helped me, too. We stopped many times along the way, one time picking up 2 peace corps women about my age who were helping farmers harvest their coffee in a way to produce more profit. All in all, the 1 hour ride for $1 was smooth as could be expected.

Upon exiting the bus I began speaking spanish. There is muchisimo room for improvement, which I will begin tomorrow. I will start a language class here in Antigua tomorrow for 2 weeks, then move to Xela in the mountains. Antigua, I am told-the old capitol of Central America, is a smaller town where rumor has it spanish is more clear to understand. I will judge that in 8 weeks. A second new friend told me he had never met a Wisconsinite outside the state. The only hostile traveler thus far (since I am considering anything anti-Wisco hostile). Otherwise I am seeing the beauty of this town and enjoying cheesy quiche (not unlike the spicy cheese bread at the Madison farmers market). I saw a market with some local goods, like woven blankets, masks, and an assortment of doo-dads. If you want something special, just place your request with me. Also, if you are reading and hoping for a postcard, email me your address!

Bienas Dias

3 comments:

Jess said...

I had forgotten the spicy, cheese bread...yum. Also, on the Metro Tuesday night a man from Wisco sat behind Brian and I and his accent was AWESOME and so soothing. I'm sure your Wisco-Spanish will rock.

Anonymous said...

My address hasn't changed - I'll look for a postcard with the mountains overlooking the towns.

Anonymous said...

I want a key chain. Gimme a key chain!!! Marissa got me one in Africa but it eventually fell to pieces. I need a new 3rd World Product to take it's place.
And a tie. I want a tie, too.
Gimme, gimme!