Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Defining Hipster


Today I learned that I'm an Angelino... the name for one who lives in Los Angeles. My neighborhood of Silver Lake is said to be a popular hipster place. Thus, allow me to share some stories from this Angelino searching to find her hipster side.

First, I sought out hipsters at a hip event. I attended my first StorySLAM hosted by an org called The Moth. Basically 10 people from the audience get to tell 5 minute stories and one is deemed the winner by audience judges. This started in NY a while back and is apparently very popular with Angelinos. This event at El Cid took me from a strange looking building on the outside to a beautiful 16th Century Spanish Tavern on the inside. I would have never known about this place had it not been for word of mouth. That's the thing about hipsters - you gotta ask around to know where they go.

Next, I sought out the locations of where the hipsters worked their bodies into their cool hipster shapes. I jogged around visiting local gyms I had found on google. The only full service gym sports a super 1970's vibe, and the people there are so hip. One gal walked out wearing short shorts, tights/leggings, and tall boots. One guy walked in with tattoos working their way up his neck, hugging his face like a turtle neck. Down the street at the local yoga/cycling studio, I noticed a matching sports bra and yoga pants in black and white skulls for sale. There I was, competing with skulls, tattoos, and leggings, wearing my brother's elementary school age faded black tank top with some small holes near the belly button area. I think my outfit could compete with hipster exercise clothes.

But alas, I had to finish my journey learning about hipsters with a treat. At the local Pinkberry frozen yogurt joint, the Mariah Carey song "All I Want For Christmas is You" song blared. Maybe that is the secret to hipsters... keep Christmas in your heart all year long.

This is the newly established Angelino, signing out from this tale of hipsters.

1 comment:

Jess said...

So glad to have a new blog from you!