Saturday, July 19, 2008

Play Me Some Mountain Music



Last weekend some friends and I rented a car and explored the Appalachian Mountains. We canoed down the Shenandoah River and camped near the tranquility of the rushing waters. The next day we drove through the National Forest and hiked to Mary's Summit. The hike took only about an hour to the top, but the view rewarded us for fighting the bugs. Other hikers told us they saw bears just a few miles earlier. While the Appalachians pales in comparison to the size of the Rockys, the proximity of the adventure to DC leaves no reason for us to stay home.

While on Mary's summit, the clouds rolled in and reminded me of how I wanted to lay around in clouds as a child. I always thought it would feel like one of those giant ball rooms that kids played in at McDonalds, except softer. The cartoons made an afternoon lounging in the clouds look so appealing. I have seen clouds before in the Rockies, on flights, etc. Every time the same idea pops into my mind. Good thing I never sat in a cloud. I would fall right through.

On our drive back into the city we spotted Mayor Fenty in his black SUV jamming out to some tunes. Welcome Home!

No comments: