Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Red River




For the fourth of July, I visited a quaint Wisconsin secret locally known as Red River. This is an unmarked part of a river where people park in an unmarked parking lot type area and swim in rapids. While attempting to reach the deepest part of the river, I noticed something crawling on my foot, then saw a crayfish. Soon after, I slid down the rapids on my posterior and called it a day for swimming. Mainly I feared the crayfish. I transitioned from an olympic rapids swimmer into a national geographics photographer of crayfish.

The real reason Red River holds such a special place to me is the unique gathering of Wisconsinites that can be found there. Everything from the [tatoo-ed, smoking, drinking, ride your motorcycle down a steep hill to the river bed] type person, to the [family grill out] crew. I rolled in with my father who sat recovering from a surgery and my sister who sat with a generic brand ipod listening to her biology teacher's class and studying for an exam. We didn't exactly fit into either of the above category of Red River dweller. All types can be found at Red River.

Wisconsin. I love it.

1 comment:

W. Block said...

Shoe-in, that's a beautiful, beautiful thing. As a smoking, drinking, tattooed type, I appreciate you embracing all comers.

Don't fear the crawfish, they are awfully tasty.