Monday, July 09, 2007

La Mapa- An overview of Guatemalan landscape


Here is a map of Guatemala.

Neighbors--Mexico (west), Belize (east), El Salvador and Honduras (southeast)
.
.
.
.
.
.


Green Numbers - Cities Where I Study, Plus
1. Antigua
- a small city with 40,000 people in the city and surrounding pueblos--where I first studied--ancient stone streets, a volcano at the south of the city--one hour ride to the east is Guatemala City, the capital

2. Xela
- the 2nd largest city in Guatemala, 120,000 people-- where I study now---higher in the mountains, close to small Mayan villages
--Between 1 and 2 is a blue dot, showing Lake Atitklan, a popular lake surrounded by volcanoes--purple dots show mountains in the east


3. Copán Ruinas
-small city just inside the Honduran border where I visited Mayan ruins 2 weekends ago

-------
Blue Numbers - Follow the Pink Path starting in the west..Places I will visit this weekend with my school field trip.
1. Cobán - (central Guatemala) beautiful lakes and caves to explore

2. Flores- (northern Guat) a small island city in the north

3.Tikal - (further north) the most famous Mayan ruins in Guatemala. They are set in jungles and many are yet to be uncovered.

4. Rio Dolce - (eastern Guat) a city where you can take a river cruise through the jungle to another city Livingson, on the ocean bay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah! I totally forgot about your blog and am catching up just now. I love your posts and am happy to be living vicariously through you!