Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Helado Sarita

Have I mentioned that Antigua Guatemala is a great place? Take for example the name of their ice cream store chain: Sarah´s Ice Cream. I go by Sarita here. A single scoop cone is around 70 cents. Yes please!

Antigua experienced two large earthquakes, one ins 1717 and one in 1773. They toppled many of the beautiful buildings so the city boasts many convent, church and government building ruins. One arch withstood mothernature twice. This arch connected two convents and is a place for clichè pictures, says the travel books. This is because through the arch you can see Volcano Agua, the one directly at the south of town. Three volcanoes surround the city. One is active, an by active I mean you can see the fire shooting out at night and the smoke by day. There is no danger to us in town, only dangerous to climb it. There is a central park with a picturesque church and the city streets are cobblestone.

As for my Spanish, school continues to impress me.
--A Field Trip
On Friday we traveled to a neighboring town and observed traditions of the Mayan people. The wedding is very traditional with a lot of sewing taking place. The fiance woman sews a cloak for the mother in law to be. If the mother in law takes off the cloak during the wedding, the marriage is off. After the wedding the new wife receives a sew blanket for carrying a baby. Then the wife goes off to make tortillas, before any other activities. I am not cut out for the Mayan lifestyle. However I can handle the Mayan foods. Rice, chicken, delicious spices, tortillas (this corn tortillas) and plantains.
--Learning important words
One teacher always teases the female students. I recently learned a phrase that is very helpful. Cuidate: Behave yourself. Today he asked me, How are you? I responded bueno, good, or so I thought. But I actually said bueno, I have a good body.. I was supposed to say bien, well. So then I said Bueno y Bien.. I look and feel good. Two points for a sense of humor in Spanish. It is difficult to remember all the humorous errors. It would fill up the blog.
--Can I draw?
Yes. I am the token artist in the group. Don´t ask why. I am drawing a large baby and small bottles for a baby shower that we will host at school tomorrow for one teacher who is due next week. My school is a great one because many students are recruited by word of mouth so students are willing to try new things and enthusiastic to make friends. The field trip and baby shower are little things that make the experience.

No comments: