Thursday, July 12, 2007

Running for President

While still in Antigua I experienced an unusual political event, from my bedroom. I was sleeping early on a Friday night in preparation for the early Saturday morning climbing the volcano when I heard a lot of honking. Now honking in the streets is not unusual early in the morning. Carpool vans come around and start honking for riders starting at 530 am. But this honking was from 2 motorcycles at 930pm on a Friday.

I opened my window to see that following the motorcycles was a political parade for Victor Hugo, a presidential candidate. Elections are in September here. Here is the parade line-up.

First motorcycles ride up and down the street waking everyone up.
Second a man walking with a microphone connected to huge speakers in the back of a pickup says, Goodevening!! to the neighborhood.
Third, people carrying a banner announcing the candidate.
Then tons and tons of people wearing the candidate info on their shirts, carrying torches and flags, yelling, singing, screaming hello to the neighbors they know.. because by now neighbors are in front or on top of their houses watching.

The parade circled twice. It took 30 minutes. I was luckier than my friend who heard the parade at 1130 pm that night.

No comments: